Which Teeth Whitening Method Should You Choose?
What Is Teeth Whitening?
It is any dental procedure for improving teeth’ color by removing stains. Teeth whitening can look different for people depending on the method they choose. In dentistry, we encourage professional teeth whitening, a procedure performed in-office at iSmile Dental San Pablo.
How is Teeth Whitening Applied?
Professional teeth whitening in San Pablo, CA, differs from other methods. It entails applying a highly concentrated hydrogen peroxide solution to dissipate teeth stains. The dentist in San Pablo, CA, applies whitening products on your teeth to cover the entire enamel. (S)he then uses a laser or UV light to activate the bleaching process. The bleachers begin to break down both intrinsic and surface stains. After the first application, the dentist usually rinses off the bleachers before applying them again. This step is repeated for about 2 to 3 rounds.
What are the Types of Teeth Whitening?
Obviously, not everyone whitens their teeth in a dental office. People prefer other alternatives for whitening teeth. Some of them include the following:
- Toothpaste – some special toothpaste formulas can gradually improve teeth color, especially with consistent usage.
- Custom-made whitening trays – are whitening kits that dentists develop for patients that prefer to whiten their teeth at home. A dentist will customize them for a perfect fit while considering the specific kinds of stains you have.
- Over-the-counter whitening strips – if you are not keen to visit a dentist in 94806 for customized whitening trays, you can opt for these whitening strips.
Which Method is the Best for Whitening Teeth?
When considering a teeth whitening method, you cannot just go for the most affordable one. Instead, consider various factors, including safety and convenience. Some of the factors that make professional teeth whitening better than its counterparts are:
- It is the fastest – professional teeth whitening removes stains faster than all other methods since dentists use lasers to activate the bleaching process.
- It is the safest – it is quite unsafe to use products to bleach your teeth at home. For one, you do not know enough about the appropriate concentrations necessary to whiten your teeth while keeping them safe. In-office teeth whitening is safe because the dentist regulates the amount of time the bleachers are in contact with your teeth. Besides, dentists take necessary precautions to protect your gums and enamel from damage.
- Immediate results – professional teeth whitening does not require prolonged efforts to yield desired results. You realize a bright white smile within 45 minutes while in the dentist’s chair.
- Highly effective – the products that dentists use for professional teeth whitening are very effective for removing teeth stains. The high concentration and the laser ensures that you can whiten your teeth up to 4 shades brighter than the initial teeth’ color.
- Longer-lasting results – most of the other teeth whitening results last about three months before you need retreatment. In-office teeth whitening lasts longer, usually between 6 and 12 months before you need retreatment. How you care for your teeth post-treatment also impacts the longevity of your results.
- Benefits of other dental services – typically, the dentist may recommend a dental cleaning session before in-office teeth whitening. The goal is to remove plaque and tartar from the teeth’ surfaces. Right before that, a comprehensive dental exam is necessary to evaluate your oral health. These services help detect any anomalies early before proceeding to other dental work. Besides, a dental cleaning session provides a great foundation to take oral hygiene seriously outside the dental office.
How to Maintain White Teeth
Regardless of the teeth whitening approach you choose, after-care measures impact the longevity of your results. Some tips for maintaining white teeth are:
- Brush your teeth after every meal
- Floss daily
- Avoid acidic, sugary, and starchy foods
- Reduce your intake of highly pigmented foods and drinks like coffee, red wines, and dark berries.
Ultimately, the best teeth whitening method should be the one that removes stains without compromising your dental health. Therefore, take your time to consider the different approaches by analyzing their benefits before trying them. Your safest and best choice is to consult a dentist near you before beginning any teeth whitening treatment.